The York Region Football Association’s philosophy is to introduce kids to the aspect of Respect, Integrity, Honesty, Fair Play, Discipline and Perseverance, using the game of football as our tool.
The York Region Football Association was formed in 2016 when the York Simcoe Bucs merged with the Markham Raiders.
The York Region Football Association’s early philosophy continues today – introducing kids to the aspect of team play, fair play and sportsmanship, using the game of football as our tool. The Association’s mandate is to introduce as many boys and girls to the game of football (played under the Canadian rules) as possible and to ensure that they are coached safely. The Association added one other essential element to its mandate:
FUN! The emphasis on fun must be included to ensure a positive and lasting experience for each participant.
Community Involvement The York Region Football Association is appreciative of the support from its fans and community. The Lions’ commitment to its community is demonstrated through activities such as twice-annual food drives in conjunction with the Newmarket Food Pantry (spring at Spring home opener and again at last home game closest to Thanksgiving Weekend) and participation in the Newmarket Santa Claus Parade. The Association, today is made up of 7 Executives, 60 Coaches, approximately 600 kids playing in the varies Division
Divisions: Myte, Tyke/Atom, PeeWee, Bantam, Junior Varsity, & Varsity
Affiliated Leagues: COMFL, OMFL, OVFL, OFA, Football Canada
Age Gap: 6 yrs to 19 yrs
Top priorities and challenges for the next Five years:
- To provide the highest level of competition for our players
- To have the best functioning executive board
- To have a dedicated full time facility with fields, change rooms, etc., in partnership with an existing organization
- To develop and retain quality coaches on an ongoing basis
- To develop and retain volunteers
- To develop and retain membership
- To develop and retain players
- The YRFA Lions organization is highly recognized and respected in the community
- The YRFA Lions organization is run as a business
- Financial Sustainability – to find at least one major corporate sponsor
- To prepare a professional marketing and public relations plan